Diversity to the seasons and biomes

This game is amazing! I just found it and am extremely keen to see where it goes. One thing which I realise as a audience member and player. That to make the game playable for long periods, there needs to be a reason for players to stay and explore. I am aware that biomes have been added, but I feel different biomes should have different species of flora and fauna along with drastically different geography, having diversity in the environment would greatly encourage players to go beyond and find new biomes.
I assume this is already planned so I would mainly like to suggest that seasons should add more of a layer to gameplay, as the seasons change so far its mostly a visual change.
Perhaps as it becomes winter, the lakes and rivers freeze in certain areas, and the species of animals begin to change, so more winter based animals start spawning in, instead of animals thjat thrive in heat; this could simualte migration well. Also babies of animals, babies of animals should take 1 season to be born and grow up. This would add a layer of thinking as the player either kills all the babies as they are born to get loot, or herds them and takes care of them until they mature to get more loot! Do you all agree?

2 Likes

The current system of biomes has a tag system which makes it very easy to make different trees and animals to spawn in different biomes. So diversifying biomes at this point seems to be mostly a matter of adding more diverse content. I agree that there should be more diversity between biomes than it is now - and not only biological but also geological. But I think that’s planned for.

On the matter of seasons, I think Dave mentioned that he plans to expand those effects (specifically the effects of snow), but I’m not sure how much. Definitely some plants (trees) are already affected in that during winter they grow slower (or not at all - again I’m not sure here).

2 Likes

Personally I look at the main engagement being growing and organizing your own little tribe, I don’t know that biomes would be that major but I’m sure they could switch up the way you play from different games, which could be interesting.

1 Like

Seasons have the advantage that they force humans to plan for the bad season of the year. Be it winter in Europa or the dry season in India. As far as I’ve heard there are some native tribes that don’t have a concept of time, because the only change in their live is the day-night cycle. Whenever they are hungry they can just leave the house and go out for a hunt. If you can have whatever you want, whenever you want it, then you are not really that motivated to excel at live.
That’s why not a lot of empires are started in a rain-forest. As far as I know only the Mayans.

Obviously their live isn’t as simple and blissful as I described. They are often at war with their neighboring tribes and if a big ant army approaches a lot of plants are empty afterwards.

1 Like

A while ago (March or Feb) the subject of clothes came up on the Discord, and Dave said he’d be adding environmental effects (cold, heat etc) along with clothes to help cope with them. I would be surprised if seasons wouldn’t add to these effects.

However, I haven’t heard anybody talk about animal migrations (season based or otherwise), so you definitely have my like for that :heart:

Also: @Benrex777, I do think that the environment is part of what motivates people to advance technology, so I wouldn’t want to say you were wrong. Nonetheless, one of the main reasons rain-forests are not very welcoming to human civilisation is disease (in particular malaria). The new world didn’t have any notable diseases except for Syphilis (not that they didn’t exist, but weren’t as deadly or prevalent), so that’s why Mayans but largely nobody else. It’s a huge really cool subject why certain diseases popped up where they did, but honestly, for Sapiens I would prefer your explanation why there weren’t any empires in tropical areas, because it sounds a lot more like Sapiens. Diseases can be nasty, and I like how Dave tries to avoid nasty subjects. If people like them, they can mod them in, but it can be difficult to mod them out.

3 Likes

My information of why there are civilization at certain places and why there are none at others comes mainly from the following two videos. I’ve watched and read other things about that topic, but those two videos are a very good summary.

In short: Only very few animals can be domesticated and almost all of them live in Eurasia. And domesticated animals lead to civilisation and diseases.

1 Like

it would be pretty neat to see large swathes of birds migrating during season changes.

3 Likes

When we’re at it having crows gathering in the evening before they go to sleep. Or something like that. I don’t know what they actually do.