Moisture, chemistry engine

While watching the devblog #26 I thought about campfires I build myself. One of the most important things is the moisture of the wood. This can be used to build up some nice lifelike features.

• If it rains and the food/firewood gets wet it is not usable until it’s dry again.
  • The sapiens are forced to build shelters to keep them dry (Bear Grylls, anybody?)
  • In nature the floor is wet after every rain and often also in the morning. Perhaps that needs to be considered in the model of the shelter.
  • I’m no farmer myself but they often have to pay attention to the weather while harvesting. The only place I actually know what to look at is the gras/hay. They need rain for gras to grow. After that they need sunshine while cutting the grass. Then they let it dry on the field and harvest it, when it is dry.
  • If you have a leak in your roof there might also grow mold on the walls. This is not healthy.

I know these are all pointless features that only make the game more immersive for people that actually have to do with similar stuff in real live. But in the end if you want to have a truly immersive game you need to pay attention to details like this. By the way this YouTube-Video describes the immersiveness of open world games in quite a nice way: /qZLQsNVCvlA . The guy in the video calls this a chemistry engine.

What do you all think about adding stuff like moistness, burning and so on. And is the game too developed to add something like a chemistry engine?

1 Like

I think we need rain. If a fire is built out in the rain it will consume more wood. if people get soaked they slow down somewhat driving you to hunt to get skins for capes. The transient puddles would be a way to collect water in the desert.

3 Likes

And rain drains out the heat of people, if it’s cold.
But I don’t think there is much rain in the desert. Dave made a Climate simulator and that would mean a lot of blue sky in the desert.

1 Like

Yup Rain and potable water seems like a reasonable resource to me

2 Likes

I second the recomendation of a more complex moisture feature, but i feel like accounting for dew and humidity is abit much.

as for what dasak said about sapians getting slower when they get wet. i feel like a more relistic approch to that would be sapians getting slower (and hungrier?) when they get cold and wettness simply zapping the warmth away from the sapian unless its whearing water-proof clothing.

I personally think that the lack of, or excess of rain (and other natural elements such as heat) in certain biomes would be a good thing as long as measures are taken to make certain that there arnt any major power shifts depending on what biome you live in.

On the topic of weather, weather changes as the seasons change, and that can effect food sources oftain making food storage necessary for survival. So, with that in mind, i think having food rot faster when moist would be a good feature. That way a player could make grain storage huts for large scale grain dependence, creating mote planning and strategy. Drying more perishable foods like fruit in the sun for storage (the hotter the faster it dries) would be cool too.

1 Like

Different bioms have different effects in the real world. Try storing food for a long period of time in the jungle. Or move large amounts of materials without a river/coast. Or building a civilization without big and tamable animals (This might be interesting for that topic: https://youtu.be/JEYh5WACqEk).
But of course even with certain difficulties, there are always ways to succeed anyways. I would love to have “difficulty settings” according to the biome you start in.

And I know that this game isn’t a dirt Simulator. It’s just that I like this stuff and when Dave gets inspired it’s a plus. And he already added a weather simulator in his engine which creates believable weather (https://youtu.be/SZI2n96MOEo). It’s just not activated yet.

1 Like