The Comings & Goings Thread

Hi everyone!
I just found out about majicDave and Sapiens today when I came across a vid on youtube. I’m studying game design and development at uni atm so this is a really great learning experience for me, thanks Dave for your vlogs and describing what you’re doing so clearly!
Needless to say I’m really interested in helping with testing and I would really love to build my own game using the engine that Dave has built. I absolutely love the aesthetic and it’s exactly what I had in mind for a game of my own (though not nearly as ambitious as Sapiens, I’m just a wannabe dev at this point).
Anyhow, thanks Dave and Millie for being awesome and hello to everyone keen to play Sapiens, hope to meet you here and in there!

Welcome Quickymart
You’re in luck, because Dave makes his game very moddable. It just might take a while until it comes out.

By the way do you know “Sebastian Lague” and “ThinMatrix”? They both also make great programming videos and have a similar vibe to Dave.

2 Likes

Thanks Benrex,
I’ll definitely be playing around with modding for Sapiens when it’s available, until then I’ll just keep working on my design document. I’m not against using Unity (it’s what they use at uni) but I think it would be way cooler to use Dave’s creation as it’s custom made for this kind of gameplay. Also, they’re teaching us C and Dave was talking about using C so hopefully that would give me some advantage early on, rather than having to learn C# and C++ before I can actually start building or contributing to the modding community.

I’ll take a look at your channel recommendations, thanks
quickymart

2 Likes

Dave uses several programming languages. But the modding will be done in lua. Most of the code runs at least partially through lua so it won’t be too limited. But I don’t think you will get access to the parts written in c code. Lua should be easy to learn. That’s why it is often used to create the easily accessible stuff. I recommend you to make an online tutorial and one or two small scale project in lua before sapiens comes out. I think that strategy works best to learn a language. I did the same with python.

I agree that Dave’s engine is way cooler. It’s pretty specific, so I don’t know how flexible it will be, but it is cool indeed.

Hello I just came here decided to come check it out some may regonize me from blockheads forums witch is how I found this

2 Likes

Hi ho, tis me Ybot!!!

1 Like

Hi Ybot

Hey, I’m Redz, I’ve been watching Dave’s devlogs on Sapiens for the past few months now. I’m normally not into games like this where you slowly farm/build, but I love the way this game looks, feels, and the way Dave handles his process in implementing ideas into the game. I’m very excited and I can’t wait to try it out on release or possibly get a chance to be a beta tester. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

hi benrex

1 Like

how are you

1 Like

I’m fine. And you? May I know from which magnificent country you are from and why you want to explore the world of sapiens?

im spectacular, my country is burning down (australia) and i wish to explore the magnificent world of Sapiens as im getting bored of Civilization 6 and would like to play a game simmilar but different in many key ways, Sapiens seems like a great fit with the features i know of so far and more which r sure to come.

Why do you want to play sapiens and what land do u originate from my good sir

1 Like

I mainly love the way Dave does his devlogs. I like programming and I like to create my own worlds. Although I never really do it.

If you were to dig a hole straight down, until you came out on the other side, I would be there to greet you. We have mountains, cows, chocolate, watches and we have snow, if you just go high enough.

1 Like

hmm, Canada? China? England?

Switzerland.
By the way I hope you and your family are save.

theyr fine we rnt gonna be on fire we live in the city

1 Like

wow, how could you steal my thing like this, tragic

? HOW DARE YOU ACUSE ME OF STEALING
police cars outside my house
OH S**t
runs away

no one responded… this is so sad

ikr, the world is cruel