Video Devblog #24 - Porting from OpenGL to Vulkan

For the past 6 weeks or so I’ve been mostly working on porting the rendering engine from OpenGL to Vulkan. In this video I explain my reasons for taking on all of this extra work, and talk about some of the challenges and surprises I encountered through the process.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.playsapiens.com/2018/11/30/devblog-24.html

Video Devblog #24 - Porting from OpenGL to Vulkan

Was wondering what had happened to this. Nice to see an update!

I will actually watch the video now.

This is looking awesome! I really love the grass and the wind work that has been done. Best grass I think I’ve ever seen in a game.

The hexagon change is also definitely the right choice. I went back a couple videos and wow the triangles look way worse! The change is more subtle when close to the ground, but when flying the hexagons look much much better.

I could barely see the waves in this video, even with full HD and fullscreen. I feel it was more obvious in older videos. This might just be me, but it was nice to see the waves more. It’s obviously better than the water back in #13, but I liked that I could see the waves more then.

The amount of dirt/mud around rivers makes them a bit ugly unfortunately. It makes total sense for there to be some, but it looks weird to me to have actual “beaches” of dirt for rivers.

Would be kind of nice if the video was embedded in the forum post too, if possible.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated :slight_smile: I’m not sure how easy it would be to get it to embed videos automatically in the discourse posts, but I’ll try to at least remember to do it manually.

Awesome! It looks great :slight_smile: